INTENSIVE WRESTLING CAMP
July 15-19, 2019
PHOTOS FROM 2019 CAMP COMING SOON!
We are excited to offer a 5-day intensive wrestling camp for the first time. We realize there are a ton of wrestlers who are interested in this type of experience, and until now, they've been forced to travel out of town to attend such camps at a significantly higher cost. So we are pleased to offer a more affordable, high quality option in our area.
This demanding camp will include a holistic experience, featuring 10 crucial elements that are critical for successful wrestlers. TOP's TEN ELEMENTS include:
1. Technique (excellent instruction to win at all levels)
2. Strength & Conditioning (indoor/outdoor exercises)
3. Goals (wrestlers identify realistic short and long term goals and establish action plans/measurement tools)
4. Film Study (analyze great wrestlers on film, as well as videotapes of live action from this camp)
5. Body Care (presentations and exercises on taking care of one's body, including nutrition, sleep, and more)
6. Athleticism (coaches incorporate exercises to improve overall athletic ability)
7. Mental Edge (guidance and exercises to gain a mental edge)
8. Drill/Spar/Play Wrestling (there will be A LOT of this!)
9. Leadership/Character (wrestlers work on becoming leaders in their wrestling rooms and in life)
10. Love of Sport (wrestlers will never reach their potential unless they love this sport!)
Former George Mason University coach Mark Weader will serve as Camp Director. He will be assisted by former Long Island University coach (and current Broad Run HS coach) Chad Obzud as well as TOP's Tom Houck and other current and former college wrestlers, including 2018 NCAA qualifier Sahid Kargbo. Camp counselors include camp counselors Jack Mueller (2019 NCAA finalist) and Jay Aiello (2019 NCAA qualifier) from the University of Virginia. Other guests include Frank Beasley (head coach, George Mason University) to help campers with mental aspects of the sport and to teach technique, and Tim Adkins who will lead two special jump rope sessions during conditioning workouts.
This camp is primarily for middle and high school athletes, although advanced upper elementary wrestlers will be accepted on a case by case basis (they need to have at least two years of experience and be hard workers). There will be four or more sessions per day, including an evening session. Wrestlers will bring their own lunches each day, and we will provide dinner. We are also considering an overnight component on the final night with an early morning workout!
Typical Daily Schedule (times are approximate)
8:00-9:30 Conditioning and strength sessions (outdoors, weather permitting)
9:40-11:30 Technique & hard drilling
11:30-1:00 Lunch and free time
1:00-3:00 Intense drilling, sparring, and live
3:20-4:45 Learning and development (e.g., goal setting, film study, mental edge, nutrition, etc.)
5:00-6:30 Dinner and teambuilding
6:30-8:00 Evening practice
It will be very beneficial if wrestlers are in good shape when they come to this camp.
This is a great team camp for high schools and serious club travel teams!
Registration fees for this camp are $299. This includes four sessions per day on Monday thru Thursday, including evening sessions in which dinner is provided. On Friday, we will conclude camp with a BBQ lunch in which families are invited to attend.
We are still determining the exact start/end times each day but will post when this information is available.
Campers who register by June 15, 2009 are guaranteed a camp t-shirt.
The refund policy for TOP camps is explained in the 2019 Camp Guide below.
Mark Weader is the Camp Director for the Comprehensive Intensive.
2018 NCAA qualifer and former Junior Greco world team member Sahid Kargbo returns to TOP for this camp.
Camp counselor Jack Mueller returns to TOP for this camp.
Jay Aiello will be a counselor at this camp.
GMU head coach Frank Beasley will teach technique and also discuss mental aspects of wrestling, as well as lifestyle choices.